Monday, December 27, 2010

The theme was LIVE

Whatever 2010 was or wasn't it was definitely a sporty year for me. LIVE sports that is.
The year's first big event which I was fortunate enough to watch ( sure I did pay a ton for it :-) ) was the French Open final. Roland Garros on a nice summer evening with Rafa and Soderling playing for the title of the clay court season was an experience which I would love to repeat. The thing which stood out for me was the fact that the stadiums / arenas seem so much bigger on TV. I was concerned that I would not be able to see the players or the ball or the shots good enough but we had fabulous seats and I could catch each and every clinical stroke with which Rafa became the undisputed king of clay. Even as I write this I cannot believe that I was at the French Open final this year. Would have loved a 5 setter humdinger of a match but Rafa was just too good that day. Soderling didn't stand a chance. Hopefully next year Roger keeps the date. I am being greedy :-)
The next one which stands out was the F1 at Hockenheimring. WOW! that was an experience. Completely unsustainable sport but the adrenalin rush - one has to experience it to believe it. The first race where Schumacher drove in front of the German fans after his comeback and the double treat - Vettel in awesome form. Yeah in the end Alonso won but frankly I didn't care. To just be there was worth it. And yes I had goose bumps when I saw Force India keep up with the pace. Maybe next year they do win a race - the Delhi one. Icing on the cake, I say.
We did visit Wimbledon too. The hallowed center court, the temple of tennis - I was just in awe to see the court. Again it looked really small real time but the history is big enough. Sadly couldn't get tickets for the championship but it is on the list for 2011.
The second half of the year football took center stage. The World Cup excitement was palpable and with Germany doing well there was a definite buzz here. The fan arenas were throbbing and we were part of the fun all through.
We rounded the year off by watching Hoffenheim play Leverkusen in the Rhien Neckar Arena ( Bundesliga ). A "small" stadium of around 35000 capacity but the one where I experienced a Live football game for the first time. We were on the 1st row and almost could touch the players. It was a 2-2 draw - 4 goals in my 1st game..not bad :-).
However the best was kept for the last. I did manage to accomplish what I had always dreamed of doing. Watching ManU play a game at Old Trafford. And that to against Arsenal. We got the red carpet treatment courtesy the steep ticket price but man! was it worth it? or was it worth it? A stadium steeped in history, 75367 people in attendance and when as one they roared United! United! no team stood a chance. The only thing which could come closer to that was Eden Gardens chanting Sachin! Sachin! ManU won 1-0, the goal was scored right in front of where we were sitting. Just our luck that it was the day that the club officially sent off Ole Gunnar Solskjær. One of the 3-4 players I have really loved. That's a promise, I need to do this again.
One a side note in the middle of all this I did finish my 1st half marathon.
Let us see what 2011 has in store....

1 comment:

Ashish Chatterjee said...

Too much time and money! :P