Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Guess who...











Want another hint?











I am sure you would have an idea - no he is not back from the dead. He is very much around. He has just decided to do some other things. He has stopped trying to analyze and understand what was going on those many years ago and just trying to enjoy himself now.
Yes, he is Robert Plant who played at the Palais des Sports de Paris in the summer this year with his Band of Joy.












Sure it was not the Madison Avenue, it was a small indoor arena seating ... yes seating around 5000 people but it just helped to make a more personal setting to see the God of Rock perform himself. What was remarkable was that Live he is so much different from all the stories we have heard about him and the Led Zepplin. So much humility, so much affection and so much of an attitude - "am i really that good? you all have come to hear me?" I am sure it had to do lot with age and having seen it all. If I had not read the books or seen the movies I could not visualize him as the hell raiser.











There was no hell raising in this show. He started off with the songs from the new album which all had a folksy and bluesy feel to them. The first note with that inimitable voice just brought back thoughts of what I missed - Led Zepp Live in the 70s. Yes he did perform some of the timeless classics - Tangerine, Gallow's Pole, Houses of the Holy, Rock and Roll, Tall Cool One, Misty Mountain Hop etc. and all of them gave me goosebumps. The songs brought the crowd to life but I could recognize that without Jimmy Page the spark was missing. Maybe it was my wishful thinking or just plain greed - now that I had got to see Plant I wanted to get to see the whole jingbang.One is never satisfied I guess. Plant sang most of the songs mid tempo in a relaxed atmosphere but considering the setting it was appropriate.

They played -
  • Down to the sea,
  • Angel dance
  • House of cards
  • Please read the letter
  • Misty mountain hop
  • Twelve gates to the city/Wade in the water
  • Tangerine
  • Somewhere trouble don't go
  • Satisfied mind
  • Move up
  • Satan your kingdom must come down
  • Central 2-o-9
  • Monkey
  • Houses of the holy
  • You can't buy my love
  • Tall cool one
  • Gallow's pole
ENCORE
  • Harm's swift way
  • Rock n roll
  • We bid you goodnight.

It was one magical night which I didn't want to end.


No comments: